IMPLACABLE - Costume and Makeup
When designing the costume and makeup for a thriller film you have to consider the structure and context of the opening title sequence. The portrayal of certain characters through how they dress and the make up they have on can completely change their position in the film. Mise en scene has to be effective but realistic at the same time. In my sequence I have put the characters in orthodox clothing, clothing that doesn't look unordinary and suits everyday life. With this in mind, the audience could relate the situation as one closer to reality as the characters are like them.
As my sequence is filmed in real time, the character will not change attires as there isn't a significant gap in time in which they would need to. Ben Page starring as Tom Hardy is wearing the clothes that are expected of a young adult. He is wearing a Hollister branded coat, a symbol of modern society with fairly smart trousers. These clothes are fairly casual but to him, the day is just like any other, in his mind nothing different would happen. Moving over to the villains attires, Jamie Petagine starring as Barry McGeedy is also in smart/casual clothing. I chose for him to be in this attire to not to give anything away or to make matters too suspicious to the victim at first. Toni Thompson starring as Selena Sanchez is also is a smart/casual attire for the same reasons to not make the matter suspicious as they follow down the victim. This actually relates to some real life situations the attackers are not going to be dressed in black and white stripped jumpers with balaclava's on because that would look very suspicious to anyone who see's them. The two villains want to follow the victim to a quiet area before they strike their attack but they don't want to give anything away otherwise it won't go to planEven though in many feature films, the villains may look like actual villains, I did not to follow that path as I thought it would give too much away. With the two villains in my opening sequence looking orthodox, I though this would give another sense of enigma as the audience will be thinking 'who are these people?', 'what do they want?' without them automatically thinking that they are going to kill the villain by the clothes they are wearing.
As far as makeup goes, I have not payed too much attention to that aspect as it would not really be noticed as the camera equipment used to capture the scene wouldn't be strong enough to find that detail. If I was creating a high tempo action scene with fighting, I would have put some attention into the makeup aspect as it could be seen and appreciated.

No comments:
Post a Comment